About Me

My photo
Negeri Sembilan, Malaysia
I'm a simple parent, living a real everyday life.

Friday, February 27, 2009

How safe are our children?

The NST online 27/02/09
KUALA LUMPUR: A babysitter and her two sons were picked up by police in Sentul in connection with the sexual abuse of a 1-year old girl.
Police went to their flat in Bandar Baru Sentul and picked them up about 6pm yesterday. An initial medical report had shown that the girl had been sexually abused. Police are tightlipped as to why the three were brought in and whether a second medical report was ready. City Crime Investigation Department chief Datuk Ku Chin Wah said the three suspects were at the police headquarters here and police expected to obtain a remand order today.
On Sunday, a young couple who had entrusted a family friend to babysit their daughter were devastated when they found blood on the toddler's private parts while changing her diaper. The couple immediately rushed her to a clinic. It is learnt that the toddler had been in the woman's care from 9am to 7pm daily, six days a week, for the past seven months. The couple had earlier told reporters that a doctor at the Kuala Lumpur Hospital said that there were penetration wounds in their daughter's private parts, indicating that she had been sodomised and raped.
****************************************************************************************
Cases like this gives me sleepless nights, makes me sick, leaves me with a desperate feeling of being helpless, useless & terrified!
As a single mother, I am constantly worried about my kid’s safety. When I 1st started back at work my kid had just turned one. It took me 2 months of searching and coming to terms with the fact that I will be leaving my little one in the hands of a total stranger from 7am to 7pm daily.
My 1st day at work, I spent a lot of time in the toilet crying and in pain as my breast milk was full and I had to throw it away. I prayed so much I’m sure God was fed up with my repeated prayers!
It was for my child’s safety, for the babysitter to take good care of my child, etc.
This world we live in is full of evil now no where is safe anymore. Cases of children being abused and murdered never heard of before is flooding the news.
I tell you the truth, I had insomnia during my 1st year back to work because I used to have nightmares of not being able to keep my baby safe.
I know there are many single mothers out there how do you cope with things like this? Today my child is 4 yet even at the supermarket I’m constantly afraid my little one might get lost or be kidnapped by some evil person.
Sometimes I know I get paranoid but how do I stop this I do not want to be the over-protective paranoid mom but I never want to be the mom that didn’t manage to keep her kid safe.
As parents our responsibility is so big yet sometimes I feel many of us take things for granted.

No comments: